Mini rolls with nuts and cinnamon
FOR THE ROLLS:
4 cups plain flour
¼ cup sugar
2 sachets dry yeast (14g, ½ oz)
1 tsp salt
300ml cream (approx. 1¼ cup)
¼ cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter (28g)
FOR THE FILLING:
2 tbsp butter (28g)
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp cinnamon
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, salt and dry yeast. Mix on a low speed with a dough hook for a minute.
- Combine the butter, cream and milk in a medium saucepan over a low heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is just warm.
- Add the warm cream mixture and the egg to the dry ingredients, and knead with the dough hook, on a low speed, for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased plastic or ceramic bowl.
- Loosely cover with lightly greased plastic wrap and a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Knock down the dough with your fist and knead by hand for about a minute.
- Roll the dough out into a 60 x 30 cm rectangle.
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a small bowl and spread them evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough, starting from the long side, so you end up with a log that is 60cm long.
- Grease and line a deep 9 x 13 inch tray with baking paper.
- Cut the cinnamon log into 24 even pieces and arrange in the baking tray, spacing them out evenly (a 4 x 6 arrangement works well).
- Cover loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap and a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about half an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.